Shauna Dee Taylor, 40, was sentenced to 12 years for poisoning her baby girl with iron supplements and Tylenol.
True Crime: In 2012, a baby girl was born to Shauna Dee Taylor. She was Shauna's 10th child. The tiny thing was a premie, born prematurely and requiring extra care. She was finally sent home to be with her family. Less than 6 months later, the child was dead by her mother's own hand.
What is Munchausen Syndrome?
It's when a person repeatedly, secretly, makes themselves sick so that they end up in hospital care. It also goes by the names hospital addiction syndrome and hospital hopper syndrome. (probably because they hop from hospital to hospital looking for care)
What is Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy?
This is when a person secretly makes someone else very sick and pretends not to know how or why that person is sick. They'll take the sick person to the hospital and demand urgent emergency care. Prior to arriving at the hospital, they might cut the victim, break their bones, feed them laxatives, inject them with bacteria, or even rip out stitches to slow down the victim's wound recovery.
Why do they do it?
It's said that these people are addicted to the sympathy and urgent attention they get from doctors, nurses, EMTs and other medical personnel.
What did Shauna Dee Taylor Do To Her Baby?
- First, and quite disturbing, Shauna Dee Taylor had 10 children who she had been medically abusing for years.
- In the case of her 10th baby, she repeatedly induced medical emergencies and took her to the hospital to be treated.
- Apparently the little girl tripped her breathing alarm 113 times prior to one of the visits
- Doctors were unable to detect any problems with the baby besides shallow breathing.
- Again, the mother returned with the baby due to "increased apnea and loose watery stools", yet no cause could be found.
- A few weeks later, the baby girl landed in the hospital with eating problems. No one know she was being poisoned to death.
- During her final emergency visit, the girl went into liver failure. She did not survive.
- It was discovered that Shauna Dee Taylor had been poisoning the baby by feeding her excessive iron supplements and Tylenol.
- Shauna Dee Taylor lost custody of her children.
- Unfortunately, tips had been sent to a child abuse hotline for many years about her medical abuse, but none resulted in her arrest until she killed one of her helpless kids.
- In a shocking twist, Shauna Dee Taylor had a fundraising page to raise money for her 'sick' baby.
- On Wednesday, October 3, 2018, Shauna Dee Taylor was sentenced to 12 years in prison.
Fiction Featuring Munchausen Syndrome
“Reads like wildfire . . . harrowing suspense.”—The New York Times Book Review
Twenty-one-month-old Cassie Jones is the picture of health. Yet her parents rush her to the emergency room night after night with symptoms no doctor can explain. Cassie’s parents seem genuinely concerned. Her favorite nurse is a model of devotion. When Delaware is called in to investigate, instinct tells him that one of them could be a monster. Then a physician is brutally murdered. A shadowy death is revealed. And Alex and his friend, LAPD detective Milo Sturgis, have only hours to uncover the link between Cassie’s terrifying condition and these shocking, seemingly unrelated events.